Monday, December 20, 2010

Festivle of 9 Lessons and Carols

Yesterday two of our forum members attended St. Phillips to see the choir, containing Libera members, perform at morning mas. Thanks to lucyjubliate and Paul3003 for their great reviews!

Lucyjubliate: As for the morning service, this time only part the men's choir presented. Both Big Ben and Simon Lewis sounded brilliant with their solos. They sang Agnus Dei and Creator of the starry height, which had exactly the same tunes as Libera'a Agnus Dei and Sempiterna, but the lyrics were different. So those two Libera songs sourced from two traditional hymns? Or are the two traditional hymns also writtern by Mr Prizeman?

After the service a nice lady sat behind me asked me whether I enjoyed it (so she recognized I'm a Libera fan, lol). And this lady was Tiarnan's grandmother! She was really really nice and encouraged me to say hello to her grandson. But I know this was not a Libera concert so I asked her to introduce me... and she did! So this was the first time I ever spoke in person to one of the boys (hope I can go to a M&G someday...). And the boys' families are soooo nice and understanding.
Sounds like you had a ton of fun! It's so great that you got to meet Tiarnan and his grandmother :)

Paul3003: Well after a much delayed journey, I arrived at St Phillips at about 9.40 am, just 5 minutes before morning mass was about to start. I received a warm welcome, (I think my presence was especially welcomed as they was very few people at the service.) The church had a special guest, The Bishop of Croydon. +Nick Baines

The service began and the choir stepped out from the vestibule, present where only 3 older members that I could recognise, they were, Josh Mardine, EDIT: (I think it was Josh with very long hair.) Sam Coates, and Callum Payne. Bit disappointed that no other current members where there, but was hopeful for the evening service.

The adult choir sounded wonderful, and was conducted by Mr Prizeman.

As it was a holy Eucharist, I felt is was not appropriate to get my camera out and start snapping away, so sorry folks no pictures.

Traveling back to the city centre, with worsening delays, I felt i should not return to Norbury for the evening service for fear of being stuck in south London with no way to get home.
Very disappointing to have to miss the 9 lessons and carols, but I arrived home safe and warm, in time to attend the service at my local church.

Overall, I would say it was a well worthwhile journey, as I got to attend mass at St Phillips in the presence of some older members, and met and spoke with the bishop or Croydon.


Thanks for this! It's good to hear that Josh was performing, and that you go there on time! I'm so sorry you weren't able to attend the 9 Lessons and Carols!!

Now for lucyjubliate's review of the full choir event that evening!
Hello guys! I'm back to my place from Norbury and I did have a great time! The service was awesome! Forgive me if you feel I am taking it as a Christmas carols concert... lol

I arrived at the church around 6:00pm and sat in the third line on the left half. By the time the service began the church was almost full and most of those attended were the boys' families. Mr Prizeman began to play the organ by 6:15 and the service started a little bit later than 6:30. As I have imagined the choir was almost "full" today. Everyone was there except Mini Ben... maybe he's too busy with school or failed to come for the bad weather. Jonathan, Liam and Tiarnan were wearing men's choir's robes and they looked quite handsome in them. It seemed Michael H was there but he got his hair cut I could hardly recognize him... Oh, and Ralph's leg is OK now for he could walk normally. Henry seemed to have caught a cold so he did not join the choir and sat among the audiances.

The nine lessons was about the Genesis and the born of Jesus Christ. Nine different people read different parts from the Holy Bible. And two of the readings were done by Sammy and the new boy Barney! And he sounded quite good. The others who did the readings seemed to be the families or local people. I counted the porgramme and they sang 17 carols in total! And we joined the choir to sing 5 (Once in Royal David's city, O little town of Bethlehem, Silent night, While shepherds watched and O come all ye faithful) of them. It feels quite good to sing together with the boys! Stefan, Ralph, Jakob and Daniel did most of the high notes. And the men's choir sounded brilliant, too. In one song (The angel Gabriel) Josh sang the solo with his low voice and it was really beautiful! The service lasted for about one hour and a half.
Wow! That sounds like an amazing experience! It's sad that Mini Ben wouldn't make it there, but I understand that weather conditions must have prevented him from getting there safetly!


Overall it sounds as if the event went very smoothly, and that almost all the boys were present!
I hope to be able to attend one year, but seeing as theres almost no way for that to happen, I look foward to more revies in the future!

EDIT: Lucy has just posted a list of the songs that were sung in the evening service. 17 carols were sung, and some the public was even allowed to sing along to! How fun it would be to sing with Libera!

The songs are as follows:
(pink means everyone got to sing along)
Conditor alme siderum (this hymn had the same tune as Libera's Sempiterna but with different lyrics)
Once in Royal David's city Angel tidings
As Joseph was a-walking by Terry
Hodie by Sweelinck
Wolcum
There is no rose by Britten
O little town of Bethlehem Lully Lullah (same lyrics with the famous Coventry Carol but a different tune, and Ralph's solo and high notes here were amazing)
O magnum mysterium by Lauridsen
Silent night The angel Gabriel
And the glory of the Lord by Handel from Messiah
Poor little Jesus
While shepherds watched Shepherd's pipe carol by Rutter
Mary's lullaby by Rutter
O come all ye faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment